Saturday, January 8, 2011

Look mom! No Hands!!!

I am not typing today's blog. Today I am using a voice recognition program.  The reason why I'm using this voice recognition program is because I have carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands and a pretty bad case of elbow tendonitis or lateral epicondylitis.  These conditions make typing painful.  My business coach suggested that I get a dictation system.  This will allow me to write my thoughts down without my wrist and elbow taking a beating. 

It's a pretty cool system actually.  I can give the computer verbal commands to pull  up the Internet, search for a document or even print out a picture.   When I'm dictating however I must say the word 'period' after every sentence.  If I am asking a question I must say 'question mark' after each question.  I have been playing around this new program for about 3 hours now and I am afraid that when I  turn the computer off  and talk with my family I might continue saying the word 'period' after each sentence.

This program can be pretty liberating for a handicapped person who has lost a function of their arms because I do not have to use my hands at all.  Technology is wonderful.

I read an interesting article yesterday which stated a baby born this year would not recognize certain things that we use now every day in 10 years.  One example is Yellow Pages.  Most people under the age of 40 do not use the yellow pages because we Goggle any numbers we need.  Movie rental places are going out of business due to NettFlix and Redbox. 

I started playing the piano again.  I can remember saving my money when I was kid and asking my dad to take me to the music store so I could  purchase sheet music.  I would spend hours browsing through the selections.  I took my time to pick  the songs I really wanted because once you bought the music you could not return or exchange it.  Today when I want sheet music I simply Google it and print it out. 

Yes technology is wonderful.  I can't wait to see what the next 10 years holds. Well I must go now and start composing another chapter in the book I am writing.... without using my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.