Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dr. Williams Goes on Strike

I realized something today.  I measure everything...everyday. 

The dictionary defines 'measure' as the extent, dimension, or capability of anything.  I spend the entire day measuring the extent, dimension or capability of everything.  

The first thing I do when I wake up is look at the clock to measure the time....
the time that I have available to take a shower, get ready for work, eat breakfast and workout.

I count the number of calories I eat. I weigh myself to make sure I haven't gained 20 pounds.   

I measure the pounds I lift when working out and note the repetitions.  I measure the distance I run or the time that I spend walking.

Everyday I check the balance on my checking account to make sure I have money (kinda funny they call it a checking account) and I always check the numbers on my computer after a day at work in hopes I produced enough dentistry to pay the bills. 

I measure the amount of gas in my car and contrary to what others might say-- I watch the speedometer while driving. 

When I get home I measure time...
time to write (but don't write longer than an hour without a break or my carpel tunnel will act up)
time to start dinner so my family can eat before they go to volleyball, baseball etc...
time to relax before bed....

Tomorrow I am going on strike.   I am not going to weigh myself in the morning, I am going to eat whatever I want, exercise for fun and take a long shower.  I am going to take my time getting ready in the morning  (I am always too early anyway) and  forget about my checking account.  I am not going to monitor the amount of dentistry I produce and I am not going to check my employees timecards or checklists.  (shhhh don't tell them!)

I'm pretty sure I have enough gas in the tank and according to everyone I never obey the speed limit anyway.   

When I get home I am going to write and cook dinner and relax with no regard to the clock.  I will go to sleep when I am tired - however if I go to bed before 10pm I will wake up at 4am....


there I am again - measuring.  

3 comments:

  1. Debi, I chuckled at this. Its the truth, we do measure everything and I often wonder if we didnt do all of that, how much time would we add to our day? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, measuring.... we repeat what we learn.. aren't we all measured by others.. measured by our kindness, loyalty, social status, our mistakes, accomplishments, failures, choice of mates, friends, clothes, entertainment, worship, size, shape, and sadly.. even race... and i'm sure there are many more to be added to this list..

    Now that you've brought it to our attention and made it a matter for discussion... i say. "YAY! to you for breaking the cycle!!"... having thought about it, my day is measured too! by me. And at the end of the day i always ask myself, "am i doing enough.. do i measure up (so to speak) so extremely stressful, dont ya think?

    Truly, our only concern is should be how we measure by God's standards.. He measures by deeds & actions.. "for Faith w/o works is dead".... so are we back to square one???? is not our day we've described filled with the deeds that make us who we are??? Hmmmm, a cycle it is.

    thanx, i enjoyed this... g'nite <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie - well I ran behind most of the day and I am glad I checked the checking account because i was about to go insufficient lol

    Jen- so very true!! Perhaps its the inmaterial things we should measure :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.