Friday, January 1, 2010

Facebook Addicts Only - based on actual events

Freddy and I do not buy Christmas or Birthday presents for each other...we never have. In the past it was due to lack of funds and years later I guess we just never got into the habit. Christmas last year, however I decided to give him a gift - one that would not cost money however it would cost my sanity. We were going out of town for five days and I decided I was going to delete Facebook from my phone . I knew Freddy would really appreciate this because he is always complaining that I spend so much time on Facebook.

I have the Facebook App on my phone because when we go out he is usually TALKING on the phone to various people in Crittenden County working on the open cases he has at present. For those of you who may not know, he is a detective with the Marion Police Department. Don't get me wrong - I know he is ON 24/7 but it gets a little lonely in a crowded restaurant waiting on your meal when your DATE is having an animated phone conversation - with SOMEONE else. So I surf Facebook. Innocent huh? - Not an addiction! Freddy states it is - I am ALWAYS on Facebook he says - updating or commenting on other's status'.

So we were going out of town -- where there was no internet. The only access I would have to Facebook was through my phone. So I decided to give my husband the most precious gift any man could want ...my undivided attention.

My intentions were noble but short of 24 hours of hard labor delivering my son - pushing that 'delete X ' on my Facebook App was the hardest thing I have had to do.

Literally I stared at that little X for 5 minutes -
My finger poised above the X ready to push it...
come on ...
you can DO this....
push it !!!!
Finally I pushed the X button.

YES! I conquered my addiction !!
Then, this little message appeared "Are you sure you want to delete this application?"

HELL NO!!!! OMG! WHAT?!?!

Another five minutes of hesitating...
then...
BAM! I pushed yes.

Sweat was dripping from my face and my stomach was queasy-but I anticipated the loving reaction my husband would give me for conquering my addiction. Besides I only had to go 5 days until I would be home again - ready to plug into the computer and put that app right back where it belonged.

Thirty mintues into the car trip - Freddy had not noticed that I had not spent the entire time on Facebook.... I was a little disappointed - and MISSING FB desperately!!!!

Disgusted I casually mentioned that I had not been on my phone the whole trip. He said wow that was great. Encouraged I proudly told him that I had deleted the app from my phone. My voice was shaking a little as I said I did it for him- so he could have my attention this week. He seemed genuinely touched and then with a chuckle inquired whether I knew I could upload the app via the Application Store in my phone - I curtly answered "oh course I know that- but not without an internet connection!!" and he laughed and stated oh yes I could.... and then watched me intently.

I was flabbergasted! I told him about the incredible force of will it took for me to delete Facebook thinking that I would be disconnected for five whole, long, exasperating days from my dear friends! I told him how proud I was of myself for pushing the little X- disconnecting me from my family and friends and people I don't even know! I recounted for him the little message that appeared-asking me if I had lost my mind for wanting to delete this application. But through sheer force of will I pushed that button as well - and then afterwards how lost and alone I felt - totally cut off from society...

He laughed out loud. Which was okay because I love it when he laughs and he doesn't laugh often these days... and then he turned and with a smile said "here's a gift for you....go ahead and download Facebook back on your phone"

I love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.