Thursday, December 9, 2010

I was just as important when I was answering the phones....

I was not happy.  One of my dental assistants came up to me upset because she had been yelled at by a dental supply salesman.  She incorrectly thought she could buy Brasseler dental burs through the dental supply company.  He informed her that she had to order directly from Brasseler.  She asked him if he knew their number (this was before the days when everything was accessible by the Internet) and he told her that it was VERY rude to call one dental company and ask for the telephone number to another dental company.

I was very upset.  I had spent a lot of money with this dental supply company.  A lot of money.  I immediately dialed the number to the supply company.  I asked to speak with this salesman and he came on the phone.  I asked him why he would not help Robin find the information she needed to purchase the dental burs. 

This man was rude - he talked to me like I was ignorant.  After he gave me the little speech regarding 'dental ordering etiquette' I informed him that if a person calls our dental office by mistake we provide the number of the dentist they were seeking.  I informed him that if he was a 'full service dental supply company' like their marketing claims then he should be willing to go to any means to satisfy his customer.  I told him perhaps he could have considered giving Robin Brasseler's phone number and then brag on his own inventory of burs.  Perhaps he could have suggested sending her a couple samples of his product instead of chastising her for trying to do her job. 

He told me I wouldn't understand ....being "just an assistant like I am". 

I didn't respond. 

The silence on the line was palpable.

He cleared his throat and quietly asked who he was speaking with...

I told him he was speaking with the dentist who spent $140K with his company last year.  The same dentist who was considering using his company to equip my new 3700 square foot dental office.  The one that was going to need equipment for 8 new operatories.    Then I ask to speak with his supervisor.

Yes I am the dentist now but at one time I was a dental assistant who placed orders and answered the office phones.  Yes I am sure as a dentist I am important to the survival of his business; however, I was just as important when I was answering the phones.

I am amazed by the number of people who come into my office and barely address my front office person or my assistants. Some of these people come by monthly to check on supplies or sell the newest gadget and have never inquired as to how their day is going or simply asked if they had a nice weekend. In some cases they are actually rude to my staff as they manipulate them to try to get a couple of minutes of my time. The receptionist or secretary is the gatekeeper to the boss. Win over the staff and you will find favor with the person making the decisions.  The way to win over the staff is to address them and be polite - just like your mama taught you. 

I guess everyone should be in a position once where they answer phones, serve food or clean people's toilets.  I think this salesman would have benefited by being just an assistant once.
 
In my office the employees are pretty dang important. They run the office. I could disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow and they could interview and hire a new dentist and the office would survive.

We have seen this attitude with people we interview for a position in our office.  My five employees interview every applicant.  The applicants never see me until they are hired.  I am amazed at the number of people who state they are not going to meet with anyone but the boss.   This type of person has respect for titles but not for people and they are not a fit for our office.

True I am the boss now - the dentist.  But I was just as important when I was answering the phones....

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.