Friday, September 17, 2010

What is around the next bend?

A storm was brewing. 

Dalton and I were on jetskis exploring the shoreline of Greers Ferry Lake.  We knew we should turn back toward home but the allure of what was just around the next bend was too strong.

Dalton's jetski pulled away from me so I squeezed the throttle a little harder.  The lake was getting rough and the air was charged.  I tried to catch up to Dalton to flag him down and tell him we needed to return to the dock but he was on the Turbo charged jetski - he was out of my reach.  Suddenly he looked back at me and swung around.  He pointed to the next opening in the narrow area we were traveling and I nodded yes - we could see what was around that next bend.  He came up beside me and together we cut the wake going into the last turn. 

It took my breath away. 

I have been all over this side of the world and seen many fantastic sights.  The wonder that caught my breath was in my own State of Arkansas-practically in my backyard.

The lake opened up and in the middle stood a  majestic landform stretching up into the tumultuous skies.

Dalton looked at me and we both stared back in awe. 

Forgetting the approaching storm, we raced toward the island hoping to cruise around it before the rain hit.  It was beautiful - I stopped to snap a couple of pictures on my phone then was disappointed when the screen failed to display how completely enchanting this scene was. 

We made quick time circumnavigating the island and sped back toward the narrow to return home.  Just as we entered the bend I looked back to gaze upon this magneficiant view one more time. 

We returned home and told excitedly told Freddy of our find.  He said it was called Sugarloaf Island and that we could climb to the summit. I visit Sugarloaf everytime I go to the lake now and it never amazes to fill me with awe.

I had mentioned to Freddy that it was a shame that we could not see the island from our house....
then I realized I am happy we can't -
so that I everytime I go there I can relive the feeling I experienced that first day that I went around that bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.