Tuesday, August 31, 2010

They may have to lay down their lives

Today I traveled to Hot Springs with my husband Freddy to listen to him speak at the Arkansas Chief's of Police Annual Meeting regarding Officer Survival.  Freddy was shot in the line of duty in 2003 during a traffic stop. 

He is a survivor - he was to speak on surviving but his speech took a slightly different turn. 

In addition to the traumatic incident 7 years ago he endured he also discussed the 'day to day' survival the police officer faces.

Here are my impressions....
Police offices run on a very tight budget.  The officers and employees are underpaid.  Sometimes they must use worn out equipment.  The majority of the public disrespects them -until they need their assistance.

However they go to work every shift every day with the knowledge that they may have to lay their life down ....to protect you.

In addition there are the survivors behind the scenes.  The spouses and children who kiss their law enforcement officer before they leave praying that they will return unharmed at the end of their shift. 

When my son Dalton was eight years old he told me why he hugs his dad everyday before his shift.  He did this not only to let his dad know he loved him but also to pat his body armour. 

Pat his body armour?  I asked Dalton what he was talking about.  He said when he hugged his dad he patted his back to make sure he remembered to wear his bullet-proof vest. 

Yes, the officers begin their shift with the knowledge that they may have to lay down their lives...

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate all the officers who go to work every day, and their families. While I was always raised to respect our law enforcement officers, I saw a different side when my dad died. I would not want their job and I truly appreciated what the two involved with his case did for my mother. My hat is off to Freddy and all his brothers in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debi, I remember when this incident happened in our community. And we all take for granted the risk that men (and women) like your husband take to protect us and our loved ones. They risk their lives for people they don't even know. Now that is sacrifice. Thank you to your husband for his sacrifice and to you and the rest of the family that accept this sacrifice each and every day and support and encourage them as they go out to protect our cities. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.