Friday, October 28, 2011

Wait to Worry

What were you worried about this time last year? How about the last six months? Last Month? Did you know that only about 8% of what we worry about ever comes true? Instead of worrying about something, make a note about what is bothering you on your calendar thirty days from today.

In thirty days revisit the problem —you may be surprised that it was not worth worrying about in the first place!

This was good advice a friend gave me last month.  The same friend who contacted me today on Facebook to tell me her 8 year old son was just diagnosed with leukemia.  Now the things I am worried about do not seem so big. 

Thirty days at a time.  That is how she is living life now.  Chemo, PET scans and exams all appointed in thirty day increments. 

We are about to begin a new month.  So I wrote the things I am currently worried about on the calendar for November 30th:
                                             paying end of year taxes
                                             losing the last stupid stubborn ten pounds
                                             finding the money to buy a new sensor to take xrays at the office
                                             finding the time to winterize the boat

None of these concerns are life and death.  My children are healthy. I will wait to worry about these things.  I will check in at the end of the month to discover how much of a concern these things really were - while an eight year old child fights for his life.  Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
                                           
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.