Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Something for Nothing

I read an interesting article on the Arizonia Immigration Law.  This law states that all immigrants must carry papers on them to prove they are here legally.  Shakira was upset because she said that undocumented people especially women will not feel comfortable calling the police.

When you travel to another county you must keep identificaton on you. While traveling to Europe a friend of my needed to seek hospital and police services due to a mugging. She had to show her passport at both places.

I sympathize with the 'woman' who will now be afraid to call the police since she does not have 'papers' however when an American citizen calls the police we are assured police protection because we have paid for such protection with our taxes.  The undocumented worker has not paid the taxes to support the police department - they are getting something for nothing. 

I am a dentist - worked eight years between college and dental school for this degree.  The job takes a mental and most often a physical toll on my body.  Occasionally I am subjected to comments from people such as It must be nice to own that boat and lakehouse...
I wish I didn't have to work on Fridays.....Three weeks of vacation a year? 
You don't work Fridays?? - I wish I had that life..\
You go out of the country once a year??
I would give anything to have a corvette.

Something for nothing? This life was not handed to me.  When I was in college I ate a $1.50 bowl of rice for lunch at a local chinese restaurant because that is all I could afford. I went back to school for my afternoon classes hungry most days.  Dinners most nights consisted of peanut butter and jelly.  If we could afford to buy a 2 liter Coke we were doing great.  I have worked very hard and at times thought I might not achieve my goals.  I practically had no life for six years. I happen to subscribe to the theory of Delayed Gratification.

I sympathize with the person who does not take three weeks of vacation a year, drive a vette, no lakehouse but unlike the undocmented alien who gets police protection without paying taxes I am not getting something for nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Preach it, sister. Next time someone gives you a hard time, ask them if they'd like to help you pay back your student loans. Don't let them stress you out. You've earned everything you have and I for one am extremely proud to call you my big "little" sister.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.