Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Forget Balance

Who truly lives a balanced life?

I believe the opposite of balance is chaos and my life is usually at one end of the spectrum or the other. At our office we are either slow…or slammed. True, I don’t like to work at a hectic pace everyday but if we have too many slow days I feel lazy, bored and out of sorts.

Research has shown that most entrepreneurs love the ‘grind’. These are usually driven, high energy people easily bored with routine day in day out life. However if I get too spun out on work and life it plays havoc on my body. So I attempted to live a balanced life…then got stressed out because my life is never balanced.

Vicious cycle isn’t it? One more thing to worry about.

So now I simply ask questions to monitor my activities throughout the day.
Have I written too many hours today? If I write more than 2 hours a day my wrists become numb.

How much dentistry did I produce this morning? If I produce more than ten thousand I chill the rest of the day.

Have I exercised today? I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day.

Did I eat enough calories and did I have enough variation in my food? If I am not careful I will eat too little calories a day which defeats the purpose of keeping weight off. In addition I can fall into the trap of eating the same foods every day which means I am may not be getting the full spectrum of vitamins and nutrients.


Have I looked my kids in the eye today? I try to check in with my kids at least 20 minutes a day. Lately our quality time has consisted of conversations through Facebook, texting or just sitting beside them watching television.

Have I spent any time alone today? My job is very public oriented. I must escape a little each day to center and pay attention to ‘me.’

I ask these questions of myself everyday in an attempt to lead a balanced life... all I can do is try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.