Saturday, August 28, 2010

July 22, 1988

6:45 pm


I am about to walk down the aisle - I can't see him but I know Freddy is waiting for me by the alter.

My bridesmaids have all walked through the doorway and I am waiting for my cue. Lee Ward one of Freddy's friends leans down and kisses me on the cheek and tells me I look beautiful. I smile up at my dad and see tears in his eyes...

this brings tears to my own eyes.

All of a sudden the double doors open and I see people rising from the pews. I take a few tentative steps forward realizing my life is about to change forever.

As I walk up the aisle I see Freddy and he smiles at me. His brother John is standing next to him and looks as if he is about to pass out-he has never liked standing in front of crowds. I start to giggle a little but try to control it - however the giggle becomes laughter when the Minister asks 'who gives this bride away?' and my dad answers 'her mother, Sylvester and I'. The audience breaks into laughter as well - Sylvester is my gerbil - the only pet I have had for the past four years.

As the minister asks Freddy to repeat the vows Freddy's voice bellows out throughout the church. When the minister turns to me and asks me to repeat the vows I cannot speak any louder than a whisper. I try to speak louder but I can't. Freddy whispers that it is okay the only person who needs to hear the vow is him. We exchange rings and I manage to get his ring on without dropping it on the floor. The minister tells Freddy to kiss the bride and we sail back down the aisle as husband and wife.

As we walk out the door Freddy swirls me around in an embrace and gives me the sweetest kiss and says 'I love you Deb'.

What a wonderful beginning....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.