Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Mouth Has Gotten Me Where I am Today ;)

Previously I wrote about my difficulty finding some nerves during an anatomy class.   I was willing to get help from physical therapy students, however the dental students who were with me were not interested in obtaining their help.  They may have felt they were 'above' the PT students so therefore they shouldn't 'lower' themselves to ask for help.

At the university I attended an unwritten hierarchy was present.  The medical students were at the top.  Dental students came next with pharmacy students following.  Then there were the physical therapy students, nuclear medicine and so on.   It amazed me at the time that my classmates would rather struggle finding the nerves on their own instead of saving time and energy asking someone who had just been through that curriculum. 

While I was in dental school I made as many friends as possible and not just with my classmates.  I took a personal interest in the lab technicians, the office workers and even the janitorial staff.   Sometimes this simply meant saying 'hello' and addressing them by name when I passed them in the hallway.  I felt this was showing respect to the people I would be seeing five days a week for the next four years. 

This simple gesture paid off in countless ways. 

When I lost my engagement ring the janitorial staff stayed late to sweep the entire clinic floor searching for my ring while I frantically checked all the trashcans.  They found my beloved ring in the surgical suite. 

I cannot count the many tips and hints the lab technicians gave me regarding my crown preparations.  I can prep a stainless steel crown in 30 seconds flat now because of the technical information they shared with me one afternoon.  They knew the inside scoop and they had years of experience and I was willing to sit still long enough to listen to what they had to say.

I became pregnant in dental school.  Believe me when I say dental school was hard enough without carrying around 40 extra pounds and hormones from hell.  The office staff went out of their way to get me special permission for extras such as a place to take a nap during lunch. 


To this day I talk with everyone I meet.  I know the nurses at my doctor's office by name.  I love talking with the staff at my chiropractor's office.  I got a ten percent discount off a large purchase one time at Lowe's just because I took a second to ask how her day was going.

And don't get me started on travel.  If you want perks or perhaps a seat on an overbooked flight it behooves you to get friendly with the agents.  

One time while staying a week in a hotel in Ohio I developed a nasty cold.  The temperature outside was hovering in the upper 20's and due to an intense meeting schedule I did not have time to leave and buy cold medicine.  On the third day I came back to my room to find an assortment of cold medication samples laying on my pillow.  The maid who cleaned my room left a note saying she hoped I felt better soon.   Unbelievable! This kind of service for simply addressing her in the hall the multiple times I passed her a day while going to and from my meetings.

I realize those who know me will say I am simply talkative.  But anyone can practice the simple gesture of learning people's name and addressing them when passing by them day in and day out.  In addition, people have a lot in common with other people if you just take the time to get to know the person you are dealing with. 

I am amazed by the number of people who come into my office and barely address my front office person or my assistants.  Some of these people come by monthly to check on supplies or sell the newest gadget and have never inquired as to how the day is going or simply asked if they had a nice weekend.   In some cases they are actually rude to my staff as they manipulate them to try to get a couple of minutes of my time.  The receptionist or secretary is the gatekeeper to the boss.  Win over the staff and you will find favor with the person making the decisions. 

2 comments:

  1. You are SO right. I learned my lesson in vet school early on. The ward nurses were the key to getting things done for your patients: they gave the treatments, took them for rads or ultrasounds, and so on. If they liked you, things went swimmingly, if they didn't... Then as a young vet, I quickly learned how much help you could get from the staff if they liked you, and how little if they didn't. Now the really good story: I was a new grad shadowing an equine vet near Philadelphia. We went to a beautiful horse farm. There while we were checking out some of the horses, I struck up a conversation with an older man in work clothes that was doing some chores around the farm. He was so nice, and said I should come by sometime, and stay for dinner and meet his family. I thought it was strange for the groundskeeper to be so inviting, but he was very engaging and we had great conversation. On the way back to his clinic, the vet said to me: "that was quite the conversation you had with Dr. Haas." "Dr. Haas?". Apparently I didn't realize I had been talking to the multimillionaire founder of Rhome and Haas Pharmaceuticals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Lynn that is an incredible story -I am writing a book-can I include your story?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave me your impressions regarding my writing. Your comments encourage me and others that read this blog.